What Kind of Information is Collected About You?
Information You Provide. We collect the following information that you provide:
- The Advantage Card. In order to provide you with the benefits of the Advantage Card program (including the accrual and use of fuelperks+™ where available), Giant Eagle must obtain certain information including your name and address, your record of purchases, and other information that you may elect to give. You voluntarily provided some of this information when you applied for your Advantage Card and the information is supplemented each time you use the Advantage Card. Giant Eagle collects and retains information related to your use of the Advantage Card, including information on what you purchase, whether or not you register on or use any of our Sites. You may elect to register your Card on certain of our Sites, which will make this information accessible to you through our Sites.
Personally identifiable information means any information by which you can be identified or contacted, such as your name, address, email address, date of birth, telephone number, etc.
- Registration Information. In order to obtain certain services on our Sites, you must register with the site or app and provide information that personally identifies you or permits us to contact you. This includes your name, address, date of birth and certain preferences. You may also provide information when you purchase products from our Sites or through links accessed through our Sites. You may browse our Sites without registering; in that case, your visit will remain anonymous unless you otherwise provide personal information during your visit. If you choose not to register or provide information, you can still view most of our Sites, with the exception of those areas that require registration. Note, however, that the features of the Sites available to an unregistered user may be limited.
- Information from Other Contacts. We may collect information about you in other ways not specified here. For example, we may collect information from a direct contact with a team member in our stores, through our Customer Service, or through any source available to the public.
- Social Media Widgets and Tags. Our websites include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, Google Plus, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter widgets. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you’re visiting on our site, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Site. Many of these social media platforms also have a tagging feature that you can use to highlight our specific brands or stores. Your use and interaction with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
- Location Information. In order to provide you with certain services and content, we may collect information about where you are physically located. Such information may be used to, among other things, provide you with offers and information relevant to our stores and services.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information. When you visit and interact with any of our Sites, Giant Eagle and third parties who provide services to Giant Eagle collect general information that does not specifically identify you. This includes server log files, environmental variables and pixel tags. Collecting this kind of information is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many websites.
What Does Giant Eagle Do With Your Information?
- Sharing Information with Third Parties
- The Giant Eagle Businesses may share or sell your information to service providers and nonaffiliated third parties for any purpose, including, but not limited to:
- In order to provide you with services or information that you request or benefits for which you are eligible as our customer;
- to efficiently organize, utilize, and transfer customer information;
- to complete a transaction you have authorized;
- if required to do so by law; in response to a specific law enforcement request; to comply with legal process; if necessary to protect the rights, privacy, property, security or safety of the Giant Eagle Businesses, our team members or customers; to assist in the detection, prevention or prosecution of a crime or fraud; or in cases of emergency regarding matters of personal or public safety; and
- to enforce our rights in contracts or transactions that you participate in with us.
- We may transfer information to an affiliated entity or to a third party in the event of a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of the Giant Eagle’s Businesses, assets or stock. We may disclose information to a prospective buyer or business partner pursuant to appropriate confidentiality agreement.
- The Giant Eagle Businesses may share your name and address with financial institutions that we partner with to create and offer products.
- The Giant Eagle Business may share your information, including shopping history, with third parties to analyze your shopping habits, update the offerings in our stores, and for marketing, advertising and marketing research purposes.
- If your Advantage Card is owned jointly with another person, we will disclose your shopping history to the other person(s) on the account, if requested.
- If you pay with check or credit or debit card, the Giant Eagle Businesses, like most retailers, compare your account number against one or more third party databases to check for problems. To the extent permitted by law, the Giant Eagle Businesses may keep a record of check or credit problems and may share those account numbers with third parties who may also share their information with the Giant Eagle Businesses.
- To Improve Our Service. Giant Eagle may share or use information within the Giant Eagle Businesses and independent Giant Eagle retailers.
Information Choices and Changes. We make commercially reasonable efforts to comply with all state and federal laws, including CAN-SPAM. We may use your e-mail address to provide you newsletters and other marketing information that coincide with your preferences. You may customize your marketing preferences, or let us know if you do not wish to receive any promotional materials, by adjusting your Notification Preferences on the Site; through the link provided in each email communication; or by calling Customer Service at 1-800-553-2324 or 1-866-620-0216 (Indianapolis Customers). Please note that unless you delete your account completely, as outlined below, we will continue to send you important non-commercial emails, such as administrative notices related to the Site. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to your settings to take effect.
What about “Do Not Track”? Because consumers are often unaware that their do-not-track beacons are active, do-not-track does not frequently reflect the actual preferences of our users. Accordingly, we do not respond to the federal Do-Not-Track signal. If you would like to receive no promotional communications, follow the instructions set forth in the Information Choices and Changes section above.
Is the Information Secure? Giant Eagle takes commercially reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of, data that you share and that we collect and store. These security measures may include practices such as keeping your data on a secured server behind a firewall, internal reviews of our data collection practices and platforms, industry-standard encryption technologies, and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store your information.
- Information You May Provide to Others From Our Site.
- Links to Other Sites. Our site may contain links to other sites. Other sites may also reference or link to our site. The Giant Eagle Businesses are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other sites. The Giant Eagle Businesses neither control nor supervise the privacy practices of any other link or advertiser on our Site.
- Information Sent at your Request. Some parts of the Site may permit you to e-mail or forward content or information to others. If you utilize this service, we may retain and use the e-mail address and other information about the transfer as described in this policy.
Access by Children? Consistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its revisions in 2013, the Sites are general audience websites, intended for adult use. We do not market to, and do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from, children under thirteen (13) years of age. Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any personal information about themselves (such as their names, email addresses, and phone numbers) over the Internet, to us or to anyone else. We encourage you to become involved in your children's online experience, and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones. If you’re under 13, please do not register for any of our services or provide us with any personally identifying information (such as your name, email address or phone number). Please contact our customer service department if you are aware of any personal information supplied to the Site by a child under the age of thirteen (13).
California Residents. We do not operate Stores in California. However, occasionally, a resident of California may visit our Stores or use our services. If you are a resident of California, you have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA“) and California’s “Shine the Light” law, including the right to request to know what personal information has been collected about you, what information that has been shared with third parties (and to whom), and the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. You also have the right to request deletion of your personal information, though exceptions under the CCPA may allow Giant Eagle to retain and use certain personal information notwithstanding your deletion request, particularly if you retain and/or continue to use your Advantage Card. Giant Eagle collects various categories of personal information when you use the Sites or your Advantage Card, including, but not limited to, identifiers, commercial information, internet or other electronic network or device activity information, geolocation data, and other information. You may review more about what Giant Eagle collects by reading through this policy. Giant Eagle does not discriminate against any consumer for exercising their rights under the CCPA. In exercising any rights under the CCPA, we will ask certain questions in order to verify your identity and your status as a California resident. An agent may also submit a request on your behalf, but we may require that you verify the agent has been authorized by you. If you’re a California resident under 16, please do not register for any of our services or provide us with any personally identifying information (such as your name, email address or phone number). Please contact our customer service department at the number below if you are aware of any personal information supplied to the Site by a California resident under the age of sixteen (16).
If you wish to exercise any of your rights as a California resident, please call Customer Service at 1-800-553-2324 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GDPR. This Site and Giant Eagle are intended for US residents only. We do not ship outside the US, nor do we offer goods or online services intended for markets outside the US. We do not knowingly collect data from EU residents. If you are an EU resident do not use this Site. If you believe we have information about you that you would like removed, please call Customer Service at 1-800-553-2324.
Contact Us. We welcome your comments or questions about this Policy. You may contact us through any of our Sites that include. “Contact Us” feature, through our Customer Service phone number, and/or by mail at our address for any reason.
Giant Eagle, Inc.
101 Kappa Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Customer Service: 1-800-553-2324
This Policy was LAST UPDATED: February 12, 2020